Environmental Education Mini Grant
askHRgreen.org offers environmental education mini grants of up to $500. The mini grant program is intended to provide funding for environmentally-themed projects and may be used to fund a portion of or an entire project. Grants are limited to one per classroom per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30). There is no deadline for applications. Applications are accepted year-round as long as funding is available. The school principal or organization’s director must review and approve the application before it is submitted. Please review the grant requirements and then submit your application online or by mail using this PDF application.
Need some inspiration? Check out these past projects to pique your imagination:
|Rain Barrels for Garden Buddies||Habitat Education Project|
|Oyster Restoration||Scoop the Poop|
|Chesapeake Bay Conservation Preservation Restoration||Going Green|
|Green Thumbs Vermicomposting||Vermicomposting|
|Recycling in the Classroom|
See for yourself how fun and engaging environmental education can be. Don’t wait to get your students involved in a great project!
ELIGIBLE TOPICS FOR YOUR ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION GRANT
All Hampton Roads school teachers (K-12), youth leaders, or organizations working with youth are eligible to apply. All projects should be specifically tied to one or more of the topics below:
|Water Conservation||Recycling and the 3Rs||Waste Reduction|
|The Water Cycle||Source Water Protection for Drinking Water||Litter Prevention and Cleanups|
|Reuse/Upcycle Projects||Watershed Education||Native Plant and/or Pollinator-Friendly Gardens|
|Waste or Water-Use Audits||Waterwise Landscaping||Fats, Oils, & Grease Disposal and Recycling|
|Properties of Fats, Oils, & Grease||Impacts of Fast, Oils, & Grease on Wastewater Systems||Flushables and Healthy Drains|
Funds may be available for the purchase of waste or recycling containers if a recycling contract or service is in place, but may not be applied against monthly operational costs. We are not accepting applications for oyster restoration projects at this time.
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR APPLICATION
- Provide specific ways the project engages & educates youth in environmental education. We want to encourage projects with hands-on participation by students and student-led initiatives.
- Include a complete itemized budget for known and anticipated expenses. If the total project cost exceeds $500, consider supplementing the award money with donated materials or services, or using the award money in addition to your organization’s regular budget.
- Clearly explain how your project relates to the environmental education topics outlined above.
- Sample applications are available for gardening projects and recycling programs to assit you in determining what information to include for these project types:
- You may apply online or mail the completed application packet to:
Hampton Roads Planning District Commission
Attention: askHRgreen.org Mini Grant
723 Woodlake Drive
Chesapeake, Virginia 23320
Upon completion of your group’s project, you must complete the project summary form and submit copies of receipts and photos. Video is also strongly encouraged.