In a special partnership, askHRgreen.org and our Bay Star Business program have teamed up with local commercial car washes to show appreciation to customers who are washing their cars responsibly. Our “Thank You for Washing Wisely” initiative has launched at car wash businesses throughout Hampton Roads.
GOOD TO DO
- Use a commercial car wash to wash your vehicles, when possible.
- Use biodegradable, phosphate-free, water-based cleaners only.
- Minimize water usage and runoff by using a hose nozzle with flow restrictions.
- Wash on an area that absorbs water, such as gravel or grass. These surfaces can filter water before it enters local waterways. Avoid washing cars on concrete or asphalt pavement unless it drains into a vegetated area.
- Place plastic sheeting and then a heavy rubber mat over the storm drain area to prevent wash water from entering the stormwater system. Rolled up towels can be placed around the edge of the mat to increase its watertightness.
- Use sandbags, rolled towels, hoses or other materials to divert the water runoff to an area that absorbs water, such as gravel or grass.
- Wring sponges and rags into a bucket instead of onto the ground.
- Always empty wash buckets into a sink, toilet or vegetated area — never onto driveways, roads or into storm drains.