If you are reading this you probably care about an easy-on-the-environment lifestyle. But when it comes to being green in Hampton Roads, are you doing the right things? This quick and easy checklist will reveal your eco-friendly status. Ready? Let’s go!
Give yourself 1 point for each way you help protect the environment in Hampton Roads.
- I never use my garbage disposal.
- I only flush the 3 P’s down the toilet – pee, poop and paper.
- When I finish my meals, I scrape leftovers into the trash or compost, never into the sink.
- I keep my curb and storm drains clear of litter, leaves and grass clippings.
- My lawn will not be treated with chemical fertilizers or pesticides this year.
- I have planted a plant in my yard (or community) in the past year.
- I donate my unwanted items and frequently shop at secondhand stores.
- I always bring reusable bags to the grocery store or recycle the paper or plastic bags I get from the store.
- I use reusable plates, silverware and cups for most of my meals/beverages.
- I shut off the faucet while brushing my teeth, washing my hands or cleaning dishes.
- I rarely drink bottled water and prefer tap water in a refillable bottle.
- I educate my friends, family and coworkers about the activities listed above.
Now for the moment of truth…let’s see how you did!
askHRgreen Super Star (9-12 points) Congratulations! You are a low-waste, growing green, infrastructure protecting, super star! You are doing most (or all) of the eco-friendly activities that help keep Hampton Roads a beautiful place to live, work and play. We say – Thank You!
Half Way There (5-8 points) – You’re pretty green, but we know you can do better. Whether you need work on protecting our pipes from clogs, greening your lawn care routine or conserving water and other resources, askHRgreen.org has you covered. Try implementing some of the items you missed and you’ll find yourself a super star in no time!
Just Getting Started (0-4 points) – We are so glad you are here! While it may seem overwhelming to incorporate all 12 of the above behaviors into your daily routine, it’s important to remember that small changes really do add up. So pick a couple items from the list above and go for it. When you’ve got that under control, come back to askHRgreen.org to learn more!