Environmental Education Mini Grant
askHRgreen.org offers environmental education mini grants of up to $500. The mini grant program is intended to provide funding for environmentally-themed projects and may be used to fund a portion of or an entire project.
askHRgreen.org offers environmental education mini grants of up to $500. The mini grant program is intended to provide funding for environmentally-themed projects and may be used to fund a portion of or an entire project. Acceptable topics for your projects are listed below. Grants are limited to one per classroom per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30). Please review the grant requirements and then submit your application online or by mail using this PDF application.
Download the project examples below to pique your imagination:
Rain Barrels for Garden Buddies
Habitat Education Project
Chesapeake Bay Conservation Preservation Restoration
Scoop the Poop
Green Thumbs Vermicomposting
Recycling in the Classroom
TOPICS FOR YOUR ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION GRANT
All Hampton Roads school teachers (K-12), youth leaders, or organizations working with youth are eligible to apply. All projects should be specifically tied to one or more of the topics below:
- Waste Reduction
- Water Conservation
- Recycling and the 3 Rs
- The Water Cycle
- Source Water Protection
- Litter Prevention and Cleanups
- Reuse or Upcycling Projects
- Watershed Education (as it relates to drinking water)
- Native Plant and/or Pollinator-Friendly Gardens
- Waste or Water Audits
- Waterwise Landscaping
- Fats, Oils, and Grease Disposal and Recycling
- Properties of Fats, Oils, and Grease
- Impacts of Fats, Oils, and Grease on Wastewater Systems
- Flushables and Healthy Drains
We are not accepting applications for oyster restoration projects at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience.
There is no deadline for applications. Applications are accepted year round as long as funding is available. Applications submitted by the 15th of each month will be responded to by the 15th of the following month. The school principal or organization’s director must review and approve the application before it is submitted.
Funds may be available for the purchase of waste or recycling containers if a recycling contract or service is in place, but may not be applied against monthly operational costs.
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR APPLICATION
- Include a complete itemized budget for known and anticipated expenses. If the total project cost exceeds $500, consider supplementing the award money with donated materials or services, or using the award money in addition to your organization’s regular budget.
- List the objectives and supporting activities to show how the mini-grant will help you accomplish your project’s goal. We encourage projects that are new to you and to your organization.
- Submit your application to the Hampton Roads Planning District Commission. You may apply online or mail the completed application to:
Hampton Roads Planning District Commission
723 Woodlake Drive
Chesapeake, Virginia 23320
Fax: (757) 523-4881
Attention: askHRgreen.org Mini Grant
Upon completion of your group’s project, you must complete the project summary form and submit copies of receipts and photos. Video is also strongly encouraged.