Thanksgiving is the perfect holiday to remember what you are thankful for in life. Every year, we here at askHRgreen are thankful for the safe and reliable drinking water supply in Hampton Roads! Are you planning a family gathering at your home this holiday season? Show your gratitude for water by conserving it!
- Avoid defrosting frozen foods under running water. Instead, defrost in the refrigerator. This option does take more time, so be sure to plan accordingly. For example, a turkey needs approximately 24 hours per every 4 to 5 pounds in a refrigerator set to 40ºF or below. Place the turkey in a container to catch any dripping juices.
- Wash fruits and vegetables in a bowl of water rather than under running water.
- Don’t let the tap water run until it cools. If you want to serve cool water with your meal, fill a pitcher prior to the meal and leave it in the fridge until the meal is ready.
- Fill a plugged sink with soapy water to scrub and rinse your dishes rather than washing your pots and pans under running water.
- Reduce the number of times you have to run the dishwasher by only starting it when it is fully loaded. If you dishwasher has a water-saving mode, use that for further conservation.
Blog contributed by Laura Tworek, Media and Communications Coordinator II with Virginia Beach Public Utilities.