PROGRAMS & ORGANIZATIONS
The Great American Cleanup
Keep America Beautiful’s Great American Cleanup is the nation’s largest community improvement program, which takes place annually in an estimated 20,000 communities nationwide. Cleanup events will be taking place all across Hampton Roads from March to June, and we hope everyone—individuals, families, school groups, clubs and civic organizations—will get in on the fun.
The Great American Cleanup is an opportunity to transform your neighborhood and community into beautiful, healthy spaces. Beautiful places are environmentally healthy, socially connected and economically sound. They’re better places to raise families, start a business or go to school. Cleanup events are planned across Hampton Roads this spring, and we hope everyone—individuals, families, school groups, clubs and civic organizations—will pick a project and get involved. Projects may include:
- Removing litter from roadsides, neighborhoods, beaches and parks for cleaner communities
- Planting trees, flowers and community gardens to strengthen green infrastructure
- Restoring nature trails, parks and playgrounds to encourage outdoor activity
- Recycling old or unwanted items junking up your home or yard
- Restoring business districts and thoroughfares to encourage economic development
There are two ways to get involved:
- Join an existing event organized by localities or local community groups (listed below)
- Contact your locality’s Clean Community Program Manager to organize a cleanup event in your own neighborhood. Each city or county has its own Clean Community Program Manager. See the list below for your local contact.
Join askHRgreen.org as we clean up Hampton Roads this spring!