Today we celebrate World Water Day!
Water is a powerful resource that we simply cannot live without. Take a minute to think about all the ways you use water in a day. It is essential to grow the foods we eat. It is necessary to manufacture the clothes we wear. It helps us accomplish everyday tasks such as brushing our teeth, taking showers, and washing dirty dishes. In Hampton Roads, with a simple turn of a tap, we have access to clean, reliable, and safe drinking water. This resource should be protected and used wisely.
Here are ten easy, start-them-right-now tips to use water wisely at home! Just by making a few changes, you can have a big impact!
- Run your washer and dishwasher only when they are full. You can save up to 1,000 gallons a month!
- If you accidentally drop ice cubes, don’t throw them in the sink. Drop them in a house plant instead.
- Collect the water you use while rinsing fruit and vegetables. Use it to water house plants.
- Shorten your shower by a minute or two and you’ll save up to 150 gallons per month.
- Find and fix leaks!
- Drop tissues in the trash instead of flushing them and save water every time.
- Use a broom instead of a hose to clean patios, sidewalks and driveways, and save water every time
- Don’t use running water to thaw food. For water efficiency and food safety, defrost food in the refrigerator.
- Designate one glass for your drinking water each day, or refill a water bottle. This will cut down on the number of glasses to wash.
- When you give your pet fresh water, don’t throw the old water down the drain. Use it to water your trees or shrubs.
As you celebrate World Water Day, check out some other smart water use ideas and use hashtag #WaterIs to tell the world what water means to you.