Choose to refuse single-use plastic. It could be the single greatest thing you do today!
First, what is single-use plastic? It’s plastic that’s intended to be used only once before it’s thrown away. That includes products such as plastic grocery bags, straws and coffee stirrers, most food packaging, Styrofoam to-go containers and much, much more.
When we use single-use plastic products, we’re making a bad problem even worse.
- Did you know that in the next ten years, the plastic in our oceans is expected to triple?
- Did you know that if we don’t change our behaviors NOW, in thirty years our oceans will have more plastic than fish?
- Did you know that right now, there are more microplastics in our waters than there are stars in the Milky Way?
- Did you know that a plastic bag or take-out container can be that harmful? It can. It is.
- Did you know that when you choose to refuse single-use products, you increase the chance that our planet can recover from plastic overuse? Let’s all do our part and, together, we can make a difference.
Challenge yourself to get drastic and refuse to use single-use plastic. Choose a reusable or recyclable product instead.
GOOD TO KNOW
What items can you refuse today?
- Plastic straws
- Plastic water bottles
- Plastic shopping bags
- Plastic produce bags
- Plastic/styrofoam take-out or to-go containers
- Plastic wrap
- Plastic cutlery (forks, sporks, knives, spoons)
- Plastic cups
- Six-pack rings
- Plastic toothbrushes
- Cotton swabs with plastic stems
- Plastic tape
GOOD TO DO
What items can you choose today instead?
- Paper or stainless steel straws
- Reusable drink bottles and cups
- Canvas or other reusable bags
- Glass or metal containers
- Wax paper, foil or silicone wrap
- Metal cutlery or other reusable silverware
- Bamboo toothbrushes
- Swabs that have paper stems
- Masking tape